In January 2021, Michigan joined the growing list of US states with a regulated sports betting market. Bettors in the Great Lakes state can now access Michigan sportsbook apps or head to a land-based operator to place legal wagers. Whether you live in Michigan or are just visiting, you can choose from 12 MI sports betting apps, with more expected to launch soon.
There’s definitely no shortage of sports betting options. With the best Michigan mobile sportsbooks at your fingertips, you can use your mobile phone to wager on hometown teams like the Pistons, Lions, Tigers, or Red Wings.
You can also find lines on nearly every sporting event. This includes everything from local teams like the Michigan Wolverines to international competitions such as Champions League soccer. There really is a betting market for everyone.
Since the market is still new, every Michigan sports betting app operator wants your attention. So visit our offers page to find fantastic welcome bonuses that will kick-start your bankroll.
As expected, some of the MI sportsbook mobile apps are better than others. Keep reading our guide to discover the best online and mobile gambling options in Michigan with the largest markets, most types of bets, and the best bonuses. And, of course, the state’s leagues, teams, and sporting events you can’t miss.
Legal Sports Betting In Michigan
In 2018, the US Supreme Court deemed the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) unconstitutional. This paved the way for each US state to launch its regulated gaming industry. Shortly thereafter, MI passed a bill legalizing Michigan online gambling (HB 4311). The bill legalized online casino and poker sites on top of mobile sportsbook apps.
In-person sports wagering opened in March 2020. Because of regulatory hurdles, it took over a year for the online industry to launch remote betting sites and mobile apps.
Legal sports betting finally began in January 2021 with one of the most promising launches in US history. 10 Michigan sportsbook apps partnered with land-based casinos and launched in the Great Lakes State on the same day. Since then, more sportsbook app operators have received a license from the Michigan Gaming Control Board (MGCB) and joined the industry.
Michigan betting is thriving at the moment, and bettors have many choices of sportsbooks. In order to use these sports betting apps, you must be over the age of 21 while located within the state.
Michigan Sports Betting Apps
It will please bettors to know they have an impressive selection of sportsbook apps to choose from. There’s something for everyone: from renowned US market leaders such as DraftKings and BetMGM to smaller state-run sportsbooks.
With each MI betting app receiving its license from the MGCB, you can bet online with confidence knowing each site is 100% safe and legitimate. However, some apps do things better than others. Here’s a closer look at the available MI sportsbook apps and what we love about each one.
DraftKings Sportsbook MI
- Overview: DraftKings has become a clear-cut favorite amongst players in the Wolverine State.
- Physical Location: DraftKings was one of the first Michigan sportsbook apps to enter the state through licensing with Bay Mills Resort & Casino.
- Features: We love DraftKings MI’s innovative platform. They even have betting suggestions based on your previous bet slips. DraftKings Sportsbook is an industry leader in market coverage with generous welcome bonuses as well.
- Bonus Offers: Check out our offers page for special DraftKings promotions.
William Hill Sportsbook MI
- Overview: Founded as a British-based sportsbook, William Hill was recently bought by Caesars Entertainment. The pedigree of both well-known operators shines throughout the William Hill Sportsbook MI app.
- Physical Location: William Hill’s land-based partner is Turtle Creek Casino & Hotel in Williamsburg, MI.
- Features: The mobile app draws upon these decades of experience and offers an easy-to-use platform that’s great for beginners. They’ve taken the time to consider what works and what doesn’t.
- Bonus Offers: Check our offers page to ensure you receive the best bonus when signing up with William Hill. You will get an introductory offer of up to $500, some of the most competitive odds out there, and extensive market coverage of all your favorite sports teams.
BetMGM Sportsbook MI
- Overview: Being the online arm of MGM Resorts and backed by international online gambling giant Entain Group, BetMGM Sportsbook has some big names in the industry behind it.
- Physical Location: BetMGM Michigan partnered with MGM Grand Casino in Detroit to go live on the first day of the industry’s launch.
- Features: We love the flexibility offered by BetMGM. With cash-out options and their unique “Edit My Bet” feature, you’re in complete control. These rare perks make the sports betting app successful, both in Michigan and five other US states where it operates.
- Bonus Offers: On the MI sports betting app, new players can claim a $600 risk-free bet and some great in-play wagering options.
FanDuel Sportsbook MI
- Overview: Like DraftKings, FanDuel originally made a name for itself in the DFS world. However, both have become leaders of Michigan’s sports betting apps.
- Physical Location: FanDuel Sportsbook MI is partnered with MotorCity Casino Hotel in Detroit.
- Features: FanDuel has some of the best live betting options you’ll find in a sportsbook app. Their clean, smooth navigation makes for an excellent wagering experience.
- Bonus Offers: FanDuel Sportsbook MI presents mighty welcome offers and other generous promotions. From odds boosts to reload bonuses, check out our offers page to see how FanDuel can boost your bankroll.
PointsBet Sportsbook MI
- Overview: Australian sportsbook provider, PointsBet, also stands out as a leader in Michigan’s online gambling industry. Parent company PointsBet Holdings Limited, which is traded at the Australian Stock Exchange, has introduced its innovative point-spread betting system to the US. This has been a hit with sports betting apps licensed in NJ, IN, IA, IL, and CO.
- Physical Location: PointsBet gained entry into Michigan through a partnership with Northern Waters Casino Resort. Having formed sponsorships with the Detroit Pistons, Red Wings, and Tigers, many die-hard fans are backing PointsBet as their MI sportsbook of choice.
- Features: The mobile app is lightning-fast, has exceptional market coverage, and is always offering attractive welcome bonuses.
- Bonus Offers: There’s no shortage of promotions through all sports on PointsBet. Visit our offers page to see PointsBet’s current offers.
WynnBet Sportsbook MI
- Overview: WynnBet is another popular Michigan sportsbook app. Known better for being one of Las Vegas’s most iconic casinos, the brand’s online sportsbook app expanded into the US market in 2020. Despite being the new kid on the block, Wynn’s previous reputation has made up for the lost time.
- Physical Location: The WynnBet sports betting app went live in Michigan through a partnership with the Sault Tribe of Chippewa Indians Gaming Authority.
- Features: WynnBet Sportsbook MI offers both online casino games and sports betting. Players can switch between the two when using their platform.
- Bonus Offers: On the app, you’ll find a $1,000 risk-free bet for new players, a variety of ways to wager, and plenty of coverage through all sports.
Golden Nugget Sports Betting MI
- Overview: Golden Nugget is better known for its commercial casinos, but its Michigan sportsbook app deserves some attention.
- Physical Location: It entered the Michigan online gambling market in cooperation with the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community, offering an extensive selection of betting types and odds along the way.
- Features: They also packed the site with information to help you decide which wagers to place. Arguably, it’s the best place for data-driven Michigan bettors to hop on and make some real profit.
- Bonus Offers: Golden Nugget tends to cycle through different promotional offers for first-time players. Check out our offers page to ensure you receive the best bonus when signing up with Golden Nugget Sports Betting MI.
FOX Bet Sportsbook MI
- Overview: What happens when you combine the world’s largest online poker site and a US media giant? You get FOX Bet, the child of legendary PokerStars and the FOX News Network. This combination works like magic.
- Physical Location: FOX Bet Sportsbook MI is licensed through Odawa Casino. They have physical locations in Petosky, MI and Mackinaw City, MI.
- Features: As a leading sports broadcasting outlet, FOX Bet has become one of the best sports betting apps in Michigan to integrate media and betting options.
- Bonus Offers: Alongside the $500 welcome bonus, FOX Bet also has several promotions tied to FOX Sports’ on-air personalities. This includes odds boosts on select games every week.
Barstool Sportsbook MI
- Overview: Similar to FOX Bet, Barstool Sportsbook MI incorporates entertainment with the app for an immersive experience.
- Physical Location: Gaining access through a partnership with Greektown Casino, Barstool Sportsbook has enjoyed a successful launch in the Michigan sports betting market.
- Features: The Barstool Sportsbook MI app is reliable with competitive odds and excellent market coverage.
- Bonus Offers: Throw in an outstanding welcome bonus (up to $1,000), and it’s clear to see why Barstool Sportsbook has become an industry favorite.
BetRivers Sportsbook MI
- Overview: BetRivers Sportsbook MI is another site to offer both sports betting and online casino gambling. It’s an excellent option for players interested in both sides of the coin.
- Physical Location: BetRivers Sportsbook entered Michigan through collaboration with the Little River Casino & Resort.
- Features: The simple design and easy account management make Betrivers Sportsbook a great place for beginners. It’s easy to see why the app has been so successful in other states like CO, PA, and IA.
- Bonus Offers: New players can claim a 100% deposit match bonus up to $250 on their MI sportsbook app.
TwinSpires Sportsbook MI
- Overview: TwinSpires is the betting app of horse-racing giant Churchill Downs Inc. Formerly known as BetAmerica, the group rebranded its online betting platform in early 2021. Their TwinSpires MI sports betting app is another excellent option for placing sports wagers in the Wolverine State.
- Physical Location: TwinSpires Sportsbook has partnered with Island Resort and Casino in Harris, MI. Their upper peninsula location holds a sportsbook counter with several kiosks to conveniently place your bets.
- Features: The TwinSpires Sportsbook app has a fresh look and improved functionality, giving customers an exceptional experience.
- Bonus Offers: TwinSpires Michigan boasts one of the best welcome offers, giving new players the chance to claim up to $1,000. Check our offers page for more details.
Four Winds Sportsbook MI
- Overview: The Four Winds Sportsbook became the 12th and most recent MI sportsbook app to enter the market, making its debut in February 2021.
- Physical Location: This sportsbook is the online arm of the Four Winds Casino run by the Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians through an agreement with the Kambi Group.
- Features: Four Winds Sportsbook MI offers competitive odds across all major sports leagues as well as smaller markets like darts, rugby, and others. They offer an optimized mobile experience to satisfy bettings needs of all experience levels.
- Bonus Offers: Four Winds Sportsbook MI is still a new sportsbook looking to pave its way. Because of that, they have a remarkable 200% deposit bonus for new sign-ups. Check out our offers page for that fantastic promotion and other can’t miss bonuses.
Michigan Mobile Sports Betting
Michigan bettors can visit physical sportsbook locations or place bets using their desktop browser from anywhere in the state. However, the state’s mobile betting platform offers the best all-around experience.
There are no significant differences between the layout of Michigan sportsbooks across different devices. This makes for a seamless transition when playing on both the desktop and mobile client. However, optimized features shine throughout the mobile site: think stacked menus, thumb-friendly keys, and reduced graphics to fit different screen sizes.
Most Michigan sports betting operators offer downloadable sports betting apps. For anyone looking to play on mobile, the sports betting apps in MI make for a better user experience.
They diminish the need to use a browser, making it easier to place bets. On top of that, apps offer the following upgrades:
- complete mobile experience with easy navigation
- faster connections
- ability to turn on push notifications
The last one is important, so you never miss out on a big event or promotion again. If your device has enough free memory, we recommend downloading your sportsbook app of choice.
Downloading Michigan sportsbook apps is easy. You can find most of them by searching the App Store or Google Play for iOS and Android devices. However, newer apps may require a direct download from the sportsbook’s website. When accessing a sportsbook via a mobile browser, most will prompt you to download the app. If not, you can typically find links towards the bottom of the sportsbook’s website.
Better yet, our offers page will have links to all the best sportsbook apps available in Michigan. We organized them in one place to compare these sportsbooks side-by-side. As a result, you should be able to find the right sportsbook app for your needs.
Betting On Michigan Sports
There is a wide array of sports betting markets available on Michigan sportsbook apps. You will find a selection of bets on popular leagues (NFL, NBA, NCAA, and NHL) as well as international sports like the English Premier Soccer League. Smaller leagues (CFL, KBO) and international events (soccer, AFL) are also available.
Do you love betting on niche sports? Fear not! They also have in-depth coverage with odds on everything from golf and boxing to motorsports and rugby.
Michigan NFL Betting
With Michigan being the home of the Detroit Lions, it’s no surprise the NFL is one of the most popular sports to wager on. Using MI sports betting apps, there are many ways to get involved in the action.
You can place all regular bets on season games and the Super Bowl, besides live betting as the games unfold. There are also some great NFL futures bets, such as the winner of the Super Bowl and the Conference Championships.
Michigan NBA Betting
There is also a large NBA fan base in Michigan, with the Detroit Pistons calling Little Caesars Arena home. Admired by many for their hard-nosed gameplay, the Pistons have won three NBA championships: 1989, 1990, and 2004.
They’re due for another championship soon! From moneylines and totals to proposition bets, there’s plenty of ways to enjoy NBA betting using the sports betting apps in Michigan.
Michigan NHL Betting
The NHL is another popular league to bet on using Michigan sportsbook apps. This is thanks to yet another professional team based in Detroit, the Detroit Red Wings, which have a huge following in the state.
As one of the oldest teams in the NHL, it’s no surprise that fans want to get behind the action. Winning 11 Stanley Cup Finals doesn’t hurt either. From how left-wing Tyler Bertuzzi will perform in the next game (player prop) to the winner of the Stanley Cup (futures), there’s plenty of NHL betting options at your fingertips.
Michigan College & High School Betting
Unlike nearby states, you can bet on college sports via MI sportsbook apps. This is great news for followers of the Michigan Wolverines, one of the richest NCAA programs, who are looking to get in on the action. There are also betting options for local NCAA teams like Michigan State, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, and others.
However, it’s forbidden to bet on high school teams. That law expands beyond Michigan while spanning the entire country.
Michigan Major Sports Partnerships
As more sports betting apps in Michigan are entering the market, operators are striking deals with major sports leagues and local stadiums. This helps them gain popularity amongst fans and raise awareness of their offerings.
Here’s a list of the current sportsbook partnerships between online operators and major US leagues:
- NFL: BetMGM is the first official betting partner of the Detroit Lions.
- MLB: The Detroit Tigers have signed sponsorship deals with PointsBet, BetMGM, and FanDuel.
- NHL: FanDuel, PointsBet, and BetMGM have signed partnership agreements with the Detroit Red Wings.
- NBA: The Detroit Pistons signed agreements with WynnBet, DraftKings, and PointsBet.
Of all these deals, the most famous partnership is between the Detroit Tigers and PointsBet. The Tigers made history with this deal, becoming the first-ever official MLB franchise with a sportsbook partner.
PointsBet is trying to capitalize on the Michigan betting market. The MI sportsbook app has secured partnerships with three of Michigan’s four major league teams, as has rival BetMGM.
Sports Betting Bonuses Available In Michigan
As the industry becomes more competitive, Michigan sportsbooks are offering more lucrative bonuses to win new customers and keep existing ones. For any savvy bettor, this is great news!
However, the sheer number of offers can overwhelm beginners at first. Here’s a quick look at the best promotions you’ll see across MI sportsbook apps:
- No Deposit Bonus: This is also called a sign-up bonus. You can claim these offers by simply creating an account. There’s no need to deposit funds in order to claim this bonus.
- Deposit Match Bonus: These promotions are some of the most common welcome offers. When depositing money, the sportsbook will match a percentage of your deposit up to a certain amount. Some offer upwards of 200%!
- Risk-Free Bets: Another popular promotion is risk-free betting. Here’s how it works: Place a wager online. If the bet wins, you receive the money from that bet. If the bet loses, you’ll receive a refund.
- Parlay Insurance: If one of your picks doesn’t come through when placing a parlay bet, the sportsbook will cover your losses.
- Odds Boost: The sportsbook will improve odds on specific markets, giving you a better chance of winning.
- Loyalty Rewards Program: Be rewarded for the amount of money you spend on the site. Loyal members receive access to special bonuses, prize draws, and competitions. The more you play, the better the offers available to you.
- Overtime Insurance: In addition to many standard bonus offers, MI sportsbook apps (such as BetMGM) introduced a unique overtime insurance promotion. Here’s how it works: if the team you backed losses in overtime (as opposed to losing in regulation), the sportsbook will refund your stake. This usually comes in the form of free bets or bonus funds.
Overtime insurance has been popular in Michigan with NHL and NBA postseason games. If you are a Detroit Red Wings fan, you will love this promotion. Due to the nature of the sport, many NHL playoff games end up in overtime. That’s where this promotion comes in handy. Check out our offer pages for the most interesting bonuses and promotions.
Michigan Sports Betting Safety & Trustworthiness
Whenever you’re spending money online, it’s essential you only play on licensed betting sites. Sportsbooks take hold of your personal and financial information, and you’re trusting them with your hard-earned cash. Thankfully, every website we feature on our site is legitimate, trustworthy, and safe.
The Michigan Gaming Control Board oversees all MI sports betting apps, so you can trust that you’re in safe hands. The MGCB is the state’s regulatory body, and it runs comprehensive checks on all MI sports betting operators before awarding licenses. It also audits all the online sportsbooks regularly, monitoring transactions to ensure your information is protected.
Take comfort in the fact that you’ll receive prompt payouts without issues. All player funds are ring-fenced into an account to segregate players’ winnings from the companies’ financial assets. This way, there is no chance your winnings aren’t accounted for. If you ever experience issues with payouts, the state government will offer legal support.
With all Michigan sportsbook apps being linked to a tribal or commercial land-based casino property, this also adds an element of security. If living locally, you can easily visit the casino in person if you have any issues or get cash out directly from the casino cage.
Michigan Sports Betting FAQs
What type of sports bets are legal in Michigan?
Michigan sports betting apps offer a wide range of sports bets. Wagers include moneyline bets, over/under bets, propositions, straight bets, single-game bets, futures, and parlays. You can bet on popular leagues (NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB), as well as niche sporting events such as boxing, golf, and a selection of international events.
Michigan is also one of the few states that allow residents to bet on college sports, including March Madness and other NCAA leagues.
Will my winnings be taxed in Michigan?
Yes, they are. Betting winnings in Michigan are considered part of your income. Therefore, all wins are subject to a flat rate of 4.25% tax on top of your regular tax contributions. Even small wins need to be reported in your annual tax return each year. If you are a resident of another state, your local tax rules will apply.
Can I also bet on sports in person in Michigan?
Yes, you can. Michigan has retail sportsbooks in 20 of the state’s 26 commercial casinos. Most of these venues have a full-service sportsbook lounge with TVs, odds boards, and several betting kiosks. However, some will only offer self-service kiosks.
Can I bet anonymously at Michigan’s legal sportsbook apps?
No, you cannot bet anonymously using Michigan sportsbook apps. You can create an account with one of the state’s online sportsbooks while only providing a few personal details. However, creating an account with false information is illegal and strictly prohibited.
All online sportsbooks require you to verify your identity before withdrawing funds. For this, you’ll need to provide a copy of your photo ID and your Social Security Number.
Are more sportsbooks coming to Michigan?
Yes, more great sportsbooks are on their way to Michigan. All the state’s casinos can legally apply for licenses and launch sports betting apps in Michigan.
Last year, the Michigan Gaming Control Board approved 15 different potential license applications. This means we should see at least three more sportsbooks enter the market in 2021.